fizinfo - [Fizinfo] ELTE Astrophysics Seminar

fizinfo AT lists.kfki.hu

Subject: ELFT HÍRADÓ

[Fizinfo] ELTE Astrophysics Seminar

  • From: Bence Kocsis <bkocsis AT caesar.elte.hu>
  • To: kutatok AT konkoly.hu, fizinfo AT lists.kfki.hu, astrophysics AT listbox.elte.hu
  • Subject: [Fizinfo] ELTE Astrophysics Seminar
  • Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2019 00:43:56 +0200

*ELTE Astrophysics Seminar *

Tuesday, April 2, 16:00,
ELTE Pazmany Peter setany 1/A, room 3.139

*Stellar- and intermediate-mass black holes in star clusters and galactic
nuclei: *dynamics and implications for GW astronomy

*Manuel Arca-Sedda* (ZAH, Heidelberg)

Globular and nuclear clusters are ideal nurseries for black holes (BHs) and
other compact stellar remnants, being sufficiently crowded to favour the
formation of tightly bound pairs that in occasionally can merge and release
observable gravitational waves (GWs). Globular clusters are thought to be a
perfect birthplace for intermediate mass BHs (IMBH, mass range 10^2-10^5
Msun), while some nuclear clusters offer a unique view on the interplay
between stars and supermassive BHs (SMBH, mass range 10^5-10^9 Msun).
Understanding the circumstances that regulate merging events involving BHs
and IMBHs is crucial in the GW era. Unfortunately, defining a robust way to
assess the presence of "dark" compact objects in dense clusters on an
observational basis is a hard task to accomplish. In this talk, I will
discuss the impact of stellar BHs and IMBHs evolution on globular and
nuclear clusters observational properties. For globulars, it is possible to
define a "fundamental plane" that connects their observational quantities
to the main properties of their BH population. Regarding nuclear clusters,
I will discuss how the processes that govern their formation can be
connected to observations using our Galactic Centre as a reference case.

Everyone is welcome!

  • [Fizinfo] ELTE Astrophysics Seminar, Bence Kocsis, 04/01/2019