fizinfo - [Fizinfo] ELTE Astrophysics Seminar on detecting ultralight scalar fields with gravitational wave interferometers

fizinfo AT lists.kfki.hu

Subject: ELFT HÍRADÓ

[Fizinfo] ELTE Astrophysics Seminar on detecting ultralight scalar fields with gravitational wave interferometers

  • From: Bence Kocsis <bkocsis AT caesar.elte.hu>
  • To: astrophysics AT listbox.elte.hu, kutatok AT konkoly.hu, fizinfo AT lists.kfki.hu
  • Subject: [Fizinfo] ELTE Astrophysics Seminar on detecting ultralight scalar fields with gravitational wave interferometers
  • Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2019 18:06:01 -0400

*ELTE Astrophysics Seminar *

Tuesday, March 26, 16:00,
ELTE Pazmany Peter setany 1/A, room 3.139

*Probing ultra-light scalar field with gravitational-wave interferometers*
* Teruaki Suyama* (RESCEU, Tokyo University)

An ultralight scalar field is one of the dark matter candidates. If it
couples with Standard Model particles, it oscillates mirrors in
gravitational-wave detectors and generates detectable signals. We study the
spectra of the signals taking into account the motion of the detectors due
to the Earth's rotation/the detectors' orbital motion around the Sun and
formulate a suitable data-analysis method to detect it. We find that our
method can improve the existing constraints given by fifth-force
experiments on one of the scalar field's coupling constants. Our study
demonstrates that experiments with gravitational-wave detectors play a
complementary role to that Equivalence Principle tests do.

Everyone is welcome!

  • [Fizinfo] ELTE Astrophysics Seminar on detecting ultralight scalar fields with gravitational wave interferometers, Bence Kocsis, 03/21/2019