fizinfo - [Fizinfo] ELTE GALNUC Seminar today

fizinfo AT lists.kfki.hu

Subject: ELFT HÍRADÓ

[Fizinfo] ELTE GALNUC Seminar today

  • From: Bence Kocsis <bkocsis AT caesar.elte.hu>
  • To: fizinfo AT lists.kfki.hu
  • Subject: [Fizinfo] ELTE GALNUC Seminar today
  • Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2018 01:25:24 +0200

*GALNUC Seminar*

Monday, April 16, 2018, 4:00 p.m.
Eotvos Lagymanyos campus, Pazmany Peter s. 1/A, room 3.139

speaker: *Gergely Mathe* (ELTE)

Statistical Physics of Gravitating Systems II.

In the first part of this talk I am going to discuss the famous paper
of Lynden-Bell
(1967) <http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/1967MNRAS.136..101L> in which he
derived the statistical equilibrium distributions of gravitating systems
which is distinct from the Fermi-Dirac, Bose-Einstein, and
Maxwell-Boltzmann distributions. This leads to the generalization of the
Boltzmann entropy. Then, I will summarize Lynden-Bell and Wood (1968)
<http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/1968MNRAS.138..495L> which derived the
series of equilibria of gravitating systems by maximizing the entropy and
found a gravothermal catastrophe. Finally I will discuss our new results on
the equilibria of vector resonant relaxation, in which entropy and
temperature are derived from time-dependent N-body simulations.

Everyone is welcome!

  • [Fizinfo] ELTE GALNUC Seminar today, Bence Kocsis, 04/16/2018