fizinfo - [Fizinfo] [Seminar] SZFI Szeminárium - Zólyomi Viktor,Márton István

fizinfo AT lists.kfki.hu

Subject: ELFT HÍRADÓ

[Fizinfo] [Seminar] SZFI Szeminárium - Zólyomi Viktor,Márton István

  • From: Szeminárium koordinátor <szfi-seminar AT wigner.mta.hu>
  • To: Szeminárium <seminar AT szfki.hu>
  • Subject: [Fizinfo] [Seminar] SZFI Szeminárium - Zólyomi Viktor,Márton István
  • Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2017 06:26:01 +0200 (CEST)

Anomalous optical response in atomically thin InSe

Zólyomi Viktor
Wigner FK SZFI / Quantum Technology Centre, Lancaster University (vendéglátó: Ujfalussy Balázs)

2017. 06. 08. 10:00, MTA Wigner FK SZFI, I. épület 1. emeleti Tanácsterem

Indium selenide (InSe) is a layered post-transition metal chalcogenide van der Waals crystal exhibiting a honeycomb in-plane structure that can be exfoliated into a 2D semiconducting crystal of varying thickness. Photoluminescence (PL) measurements demonstrate that the optical gap of few-layer InSe increases with the reduction of the thickness of the material, and that the principal optical transition vanishes in the monolayer [1,2]. We reveal the origin of this anomalous optical response using first principles density functional theory (DFT), in particular, we identify the mirror symmetry of the monolayer as the cause for the vanishing of the principal PL peak. We reproduce the measured PL peak energies with good accuracy by applying a scissor correction to the excitation energies predicted by DFT [2]. We discuss the limitations of this scissor correction and the options for improving upon them using many-body GW theory. We also present a tight-binding model parametrized from the scissor-corrected DFT calculations which enables the prediction of the optical transition energies and absorption coefficients of multilayer InSe at any thickness [3].