fizinfo - [Fizinfo] ELTE particle physics seminar - Nov 30

fizinfo AT lists.kfki.hu

Subject: ELFT HÍRADÓ

[Fizinfo] ELTE particle physics seminar - Nov 30

  • From: Sandor Katz <katz AT bodri.elte.hu>
  • To: fizinfo <fizinfo AT lists.kfki.hu>
  • Subject: [Fizinfo] ELTE particle physics seminar - Nov 30
  • Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2016 16:57:07 +0100 (CET)

Date/Time: 30 November, Wednesday, 14:15
Location: ELTE, Lagymanyos, 2. floor, room 2.54
Speaker: Bence Kocsis (Eotvos)
Title: The dynamical origin of black hole mergers

Abstract:

With the detections of the gravitational waves emitted during black hole mergers, LIGO has recently opened the field of gravitational wave astrophysics. In this talk I will discuss some of the astrophysical processes that may be responsible for the observed events. Although less than 0.5% of the stellar mass is in dense stellar systems, I will argue that a large fraction of the black hole mergers may originate in these environments due to gravitational bremsstrahlung and multibody interactions. Accretion disks in active galactic nuclei may also facilitate black hole mergers. Finally, if primordial black holes constitute a fraction of dark matter, gravitational waves may shed light on its composition. I will discuss predictions on the event rate distribution that may be used to disentangle these astrophysical processes to understand the origin of the observed gravitational wave events.

More info: http://bodri.elte.hu/#seminar

  • [Fizinfo] ELTE particle physics seminar - Nov 30, Sandor Katz, 11/28/2016