fizinfo - [Fizinfo] Stat Phys Seminar

fizinfo AT lists.kfki.hu

Subject: ELFT HÍRADÓ

[Fizinfo] Stat Phys Seminar

  • From: StatFizSzeminar <statfiz AT glu.elte.hu>
  • To: fizinfo AT lists.kfki.hu
  • Subject: [Fizinfo] Stat Phys Seminar
  • Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2016 16:02:51 +0200

# # # # # #

ELTE Institute of Physics
SEMINARS IN STATISTICAL PHYSICS

Extraordinary time!

19th August 2016
Friday, 11 a.m.
Room 2.54

Rodica Borcia

Department of Statistical Physics and Nonlinear Dynamics,
Brandenburg University of Technology, Cottbus, Germany

"Dancing Drops Over Vibrating Substrates"

We study the motion of a liquid drop on a solid plate simultaneously
submitted to horizontal and vertical harmonic vibrations. The investigation
is done via a phase field model earlier developed for describing static and
dynamic contact angles. The density field is nearly constant in every bulk
region and varies continuously from one phase to the other with a rapid but
smooth variation across the interfaces. Complicated explicit boundary
conditions along the interface are avoided and captured implicitly by phase
field terms in the hydrodynamic basic equations. The contact angle is
controlled through the density at the solid substrate, a free parameter
varying between 0 and 1 [R. Borcia, I.D. Borcia, M. Bestehorn, Phys. Rev. E
78, 066307 (2008)]. We emphasize the swaying and the spreading modes,
earlier theoretically identified by Benilov et al. via a shallow-water
model for drops climbing uphill along an inclined plane oscillating
vertically [J. Fluid Mech. 674, 93 (2011)]. The numerical phase field
simulations will be completed by experiments. Some ways to prevent the
release of the dancing drops along a hydrophobic surface into the gas
atmosphere are also discussed in this paper.

1117 Budapest, Pázmány P. sétány 1/A (Northern Block)
home page: http://glu.elte.hu/~statfiz

  • [Fizinfo] Stat Phys Seminar, StatFizSzeminar, 08/12/2016