fizinfo - [Fizinfo] Meghívó rendkívüli időpontban megtarott Ortvay Kollokviumokra

fizinfo AT lists.kfki.hu

Subject: ELFT HÍRADÓ

[Fizinfo] Meghívó rendkívüli időpontban megtarott Ortvay Kollokviumokra

  • From: szpl <szpl AT metal.elte.hu>
  • To: <fizinfo AT lists.kfki.hu>
  • Subject: [Fizinfo] Meghívó rendkívüli időpontban megtarott Ortvay Kollokviumokra
  • Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2016 08:37:47 +0200

ELTE Fizikai Intézet

ORTVAY KOLLOKVIUM
Meghívó az ELTE Atomfizikai Tanszékére meghirdetett adjunktusi állásra
jelentkező
"shortlist”-ás külföldiek rendkívüli időpontban megtarott Ortvay
Kollokviumaira:

2016 június 2, csütörtök, 15 óra

Tania Robens, TU Dresden

Particle Physics after the Higgs Discovery: Questions and Challenges in the
LHC era

Abstract:
With the start of data taking at the LHC in 2009 and its more than successful physics program since then, particle physics has entered an exciting era. After
the discovery of a Higgs boson, a major task within the high-energy community is now the exact determination of its properties, which in turn calls for both accurate experimental measurements as well as precise theoretical predictions. While current measurements are well in agreement with predictions from the Standard Model (SM) alone, both theoretical as well as experimental uncertainties still allow for interpretation in models which extend the particle sector of the SM.

In my talk, I will focus on two areas of research of high relevance to the LHC physics program. The first concerns the inclusion of higher-order corrections into Monte Carlo event generators, which are a necessary ingredient for the direct comparison between theoretical predictions and experimental data. I will specifically discuss the treatment of infrared singularities. Numerical implementations of these divergent terms need to be treated with great care to avoid instabilities. A common tool for this are subtraction schemes. I have developed a new scheme for such subtractions and will discuss its properties as well as advantages over alternative schemes. I will also discuss the calculation of higher-order corrections to the process WW+jet using analytic methods.

A second part of my research deals with models that extend the particle
content
of the SM. I will discuss possible extensions of the SM Higgs sector, with a special focus on the singlet extension, where an additional spin-0 particle is added to the Higgs potential. This model, which is subject to both theoretical as well as experimental bounds, currently serves as an important benchmark scenario for LHC experimental searches. I will discuss the currently available bounds within this model as well as the discovery prospects for the additional particle at the LHC experiments.

*******

2016 június 6, hétfő, 15 óra

Georgios Georgiou, Institute of Nuclear and Particle Physics, Athens

Observables at weak and strong coupling from gauge/gravity dualities.

Abstract:
Abstract: In recent years, significant progress has been made in the calculation of scattering amplitudes, the spectrum and of higher point correlation functions in supersymmetric gauge theories for any value of the coupling.
The role of gauge/gravity dualities in these calculations was instrumental.
We will review part of this progress and also discuss future directions.

  • [Fizinfo] Meghívó rendkívüli időpontban megtarott Ortvay Kollokviumokra, szpl, 06/01/2016