fizinfo - [Fizinfo] Stat Phys Seminar

fizinfo AT lists.kfki.hu

Subject: ELFT HÍRADÓ

[Fizinfo] Stat Phys Seminar

  • From: StatFizSzeminar <statfiz AT glu.elte.hu>
  • To: fizinfo AT lists.kfki.hu
  • Subject: [Fizinfo] Stat Phys Seminar
  • Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2016 22:05:32 +0100

# # # # # #

ELTE Institute of Physics
SEMINARS IN STATISTICAL PHYSICS

16th March 2016
Wednesday, 11 a.m.

Ulrike Feudel

Theoretical Physics/Complex Systems, ICBM,
Carl von Ossietzky University of Oldenburg, Germany

"Self-induced switchings between multiple space-time patterns
on complex networks of excitable units"

We report on self-induced switchings between multiple distinct space-time
patterns
in the dynamics of a spatially extended excitable system. These switchings
between
low-amplitude oscillations, nonlinear waves, and extreme events strongly
resemble a
random process, although the system is deterministic. We show that a chaotic
saddle --- which contains all the patterns as well as channel-like structures
that
mediate the transitions between them --- is the backbone of such a pattern
switching
dynamics. Our analyses indicate that essential ingredients for the observed
phenomena are that the system behaves like an inhomogeneous oscillatory medium
that is capable of self-generating spatially localized excitations and that
is dominated
by short-range connections but also features long-range connections. With our
findings, we present an alternative to the well-known ways to obtain
self-induced
pattern switching, namely noise-induced attractor hopping, heteroclinic
orbits,
and adaptation to an external signal. This alternative way can be expected to
improve our understanding of pattern switchings in spatially extended natural
dynamical systems like the brain and the heart.

Room 2.54
1117 Budapest, Pázmány P. sétány 1/A (Northern Block)
home page: http://glu.elte.hu/~statfiz

  • [Fizinfo] Stat Phys Seminar, StatFizSzeminar, 03/08/2016
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • [Fizinfo] Stat Phys Seminar, StatFizSzeminar, 03/11/2016