fizinfo - [Fizinfo] A mai Ortvay címe változott

fizinfo AT lists.kfki.hu

Subject: ELFT HÍRADÓ

[Fizinfo] A mai Ortvay címe változott

  • From: szpl <szpl AT metal.elte.hu>
  • To: <fizinfo AT lists.kfki.hu>
  • Subject: [Fizinfo] A mai Ortvay címe változott
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2016 09:58:58 +0100

ELTE Fizikai Intézet

ORTVAY KOLLOKVIUM

2016. január 21., csütörtök, 15:00-kor
Az ELTE Pázmány Péter s. 1/A alatti épületében
földszinti 0.81 előadóban

Imre Bartos (Columbia University, USA)

IceCube: the High-energy Universe and Multimessenger Astrophysics with
Neutrinos

Kivonatos ismertetés:
Astrophysical processes that produce the observed energetic cosmic particles (up to 10^20 eV) and high-energy gamma radiation involve extreme non-thermal acceleration, strongly constraining the list of possible sources. Nevertheless,
the origin of the most energetic cosmic rays, and the electromagnetic emission
mechanism in extreme sources such as gamma-ray bursts, are currently unknown. Neutrinos may well be the silver bullet to unravel these processes. They can reveal the hadronic nature of the emission, and due to their weak interaction they lead right back to the source. The IceCube neutrino observatory at the South Pole has recently discovered a cosmic flux of TeV-PeV neutrinos, making the first step in lifting the curtain on cosmic particle accelerators. I will discuss recent multimessenger observational developments, and source candidates in the high-energy universe. I will describe plans and capabilities for the next-generation neutrino detector IceCube-Gen2.

  • [Fizinfo] A mai Ortvay címe változott, szpl, 01/21/2016