fizinfo - [Fizinfo] Rendkívüli Ortvay kollokvium

fizinfo AT lists.kfki.hu

Subject: ELFT HÍRADÓ

[Fizinfo] Rendkívüli Ortvay kollokvium

  • From: szpl <szpl AT metal.elte.hu>
  • To: <fizinfo AT lists.kfki.hu>
  • Subject: [Fizinfo] Rendkívüli Ortvay kollokvium
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2016 14:17:05 +0100

ELTE Fizikai Intézet

ORTVAY KOLLOKVIUM

2016. január 21., csütörtök, 15:00-kor
Az ELTE Pázmány Péter s. 1/A alatti épületében
földszinti 0.81 előadóban

Imre Bartos (Columbia University, USA)

"Astronomy's 'Next Big Thing:' What can we expect from direct
gravitational-wave observations in the near term?"

Kivonatos ismertetés:
Advanced LIGO's completion and ongoing observation run might put the first direct detection of gravitational waves on the horizon, just in time for the 100th anniversary of Einstein's prediction. Beyond the eventual discovery, there is a growing focus on incorporating gravitational waves as a new window on questions from violent transients to cosmology. We will discuss some aspects of the key scientific directions in which gravitational wave searches are being utilized, with particular emphasis on multimessenger astronomy.

  • [Fizinfo] Rendkívüli Ortvay kollokvium, szpl, 01/19/2016