fizinfo - [Fizinfo] Stat Phys Seminar

fizinfo AT lists.kfki.hu

Subject: ELFT HÍRADÓ

[Fizinfo] Stat Phys Seminar

  • From: StatFizSzeminar <statfiz AT glu.elte.hu>
  • To: fizinfo AT lists.kfki.hu
  • Subject: [Fizinfo] Stat Phys Seminar
  • Date: Mon, 04 Jan 2016 10:46:30 +0100

Correction. We apologize for the outdated message sent previously.

# # # # # #

ELTE Institute of Physics
SEMINARS IN STATISTICAL PHYSICS

Wednesday, 11 a.m.

György Korniss

Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute

"Cascading Overload Failures in Spatially-Embedded
and Random Networks with Distributed Flows"

In complex information or infrastructure networks, even small localized
disruptions can give rise to congestion, large-scale correlated failures, or
cascades, -- a critical vulnerability of such networks. Here, we study
cascades
of overload failures for distributed flows in spatial and non-spatial random
graphs, and empirical networks. Our recent results on load-based cascading
failures in spatially-embedded random networks (applicable to power grids)
underline both the conceptual and computational challenges and difficulties
identifying critical nodes, lines, and regions to mitigate cascades. We
observed
that cascading failures are non-self-averaging in spatial graphs, hence
predictability is poor and conventional mitigation strategies are largely
ineffective. Among our main findings is that protecting all nodes (or edges)
by
the same additional capacity (tolerance) may actually lead to larger global
failures. I.e., indiscriminately investing resources in the protection of
nodes
or links can actually make the network more vulnerable against cascading
failures ("paying more can result in less", in terms of robustness).

Supported in part by DTRA
[http://www.dtra.mil/Research/BasicandAppliedScienceDepartment/NetworkSciences/TA21.aspx],
NSF, ARL NS-CTA.

A. Asztalos, S. Sreenivasan, B. K. Szymanski, and G. Korniss, PLoS One 9(1):
e84563 (2014)
[http://dx.doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0084563].
A. Asztalos, S. Sreenivasan, B. K. Szymanski, and G. Korniss, Eur. Phys. J. B
85, 288 (2012)
[http://dx.doi.org/10.1140/epjb/e2012-30122-3].

Room 2.54
1117 Budapest, Pázmány P. sétány 1/A (Northern Block)
home page: http://glu.elte.hu/~statfiz

  • [Fizinfo] Stat Phys Seminar, StatFizSzeminar, 01/04/2016