fizinfo - [Fizinfo] Ortvay kollokvium

fizinfo AT lists.kfki.hu

Subject: ELFT HÍRADÓ

[Fizinfo] Ortvay kollokvium

  • From: szpl <szpl AT metal.elte.hu>
  • To: <fizinfo AT lists.kfki.hu>
  • Subject: [Fizinfo] Ortvay kollokvium
  • Date: Fri, 09 Oct 2015 13:03:34 +0200

ELTE Fizikai Intézet

ORTVAY KOLLOKVIUM

2015. október 15., csütörtök, 15:00-kor
Az ELTE Pázmány Péter s. 1/A alatti épületében
földszinti 0.81 előadóban

Ulrike Feudel
(Institute for Chemistry and Biology of the Marine Environment
Carl von Ossietzky University Oldenburg, Oldenburg, Germany)

"Harmful algal blooms: combining excitability, competition
and hydrodynamic flows"

Kivonatos ismertetés:
Harmful algal blooms (HABs) are rare events which are characterized by a sudden large abundance of potentially toxic plankton species which can alter the dynamics of the whole ecosystem. Since as a consequence of climate change, the frequency of HABs is increasing, there is a strong need in understanding the possible causes for such bloom events. The phenomenon itself will be introduced and possible essential factors for t
he emergence of HABs will be discussed.

To develop a model which mimics basic properties of HABs and includes different environmental and biological factors we use ideas which are inspired by neuron dynamics describing a neuronal excitation. In neurons, this excitation is a result of an interplay between an activator and an inhibitor leading to the formation of a neuronal pulse. For HABs the activator is the phytoplankton – the plants of the ocean – forming the pulse-like bloom, while the inhibitor is the zooplankton grazing on phytoplankton. While many models of HABs focus on the growth of a single species, we discuss the emergence of such blooms from the perspective of plankton communities. This involves the competition between toxic and non-toxic species as well the preference of grazing zooplankton for certain species. We show how the interplay of the competition and environmental factors like increasing nutrient input result in a sudden growth of toxic species. Our models based on experiments reflect several features of HABs in nature.

Hydrodynamic flows are also important determinants for the emergence and the spread of HABs in the real ocean. Analzying data from observations in the Southern California Bight we demonstrate, that particularly mesoscale hydrodynamic vortices are of crucial importance for the spread of HABs. Moreover, such vortices can lead to heterogeneous dominance patterns of different plankton species in the ocean. We illustrate the mechanism of the emergence of spatially localized HABs using a simplified kinematic flow giving rise to appearing and disappearing vortices.