fizinfo - [Fizinfo] Ortvay kollokvium

fizinfo AT lists.kfki.hu

Subject: ELFT HÍRADÓ

[Fizinfo] Ortvay kollokvium

  • From: <szpl AT metal.elte.hu>
  • To: <fizinfo AT lists.kfki.hu>
  • Subject: [Fizinfo] Ortvay kollokvium
  • Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2015 15:27:56 +0100

ELTE Fizikai Intézet

ORTVAY KOLLOKVIUM

2015. március 26., csütörtök, 15:00-kor
Az ELTE Pázmány Péter s. 1/A alatti épületében
földszinti 0.81 előadóban

Werner Norbert
(Kavli Institute for Particle Astrophysics and Cosmology, Stanford, CA, USA)

„A szupermasszív feketelyukaktól a világűr nagyléptékű szerkezetéig"

Kivonatos ismertetés:
I will present recent observational results on the nature and origin of the multi-phase interstellar medium in giant elliptical galaxies, and its role in galaxy evolution and in fueling the central supermassive black holes. Our results show that the cold gas in these systems is produced chiefly by thermally unstable cooling from the hot phase, and that jets emanating from accreting supermassive blackholes are likely to play a crucial role in clearing giant elliptical galaxies of their cold gas, keeping them 'red and dead'. Then I will 'zoom out' to the outskirts of galaxy clusters where we also find hints that supermassive black holes played an important role in the distant past. X-ray observations with the Suzaku satellite reveal a remarkably homogeneous distribution of iron out to the virial radius of the nearby Perseus Cluster, requiring that most of the metal enrichment of the intergalactic medium occurred before the cluster formed, probably more than ten billion years ago, during the period of maximal star formation and black hole activity. Finally, I will talk about the upcoming ASTRO-H mission which will revolutionize X-ray spectroscopy and our understanding of the intergalactic medium.