fizinfo - [Fizinfo] Matthias Droth eloadasa az ELTE-n jovo hetfon

fizinfo AT lists.kfki.hu

Subject: ELFT HÍRADÓ

[Fizinfo] Matthias Droth eloadasa az ELTE-n jovo hetfon

  • From: Andras Palyi <andraspalyi AT caesar.elte.hu>
  • To: FIZINFO AT lists.kfki.hu, nanofizika-szeminarium AT googlegroups.com
  • Subject: [Fizinfo] Matthias Droth eloadasa az ELTE-n jovo hetfon
  • Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2015 08:51:40 +0100

Az ELTE Nanofizika Szeminarium jovo hetfoi eloadasa:

Matthias Droth (Universitat Konstanz, Nemetorszag):
Piezoelectricity in planar boron nitride via a geometric phase

Kivonat:
“Due to their low surface mass density, two-dimensional materials with a
strong piezoelectric response are interesting for nanoelectromechanical
systems with high force sensitivity. In contrast to graphene, the two
sublattices in two-dimensional hexagonal boron nitride (hBN) are occupied by
different types of atoms, which allows for piezoelectricity. Recently, the
piezoelectric tensor of extended hBN has been calculated via density
functional theory (DFT) [1]. While an analytical description of
piezoelectricity does exist for hBN nanotubes [2], this is, to our knowledge,
not the case for two-dimensional hBN. We set up a Hamiltonian that involves
the strain-induced pseudomagnetic field [3] and derive the piezoelectric
tensor using the modern theory of polarization. Our findings are in exact
agreement with symmetry arguments and give an analytical explanation for the
piezoelectric electron-phonon coupling in planar hBN. We also provide an
estimation of the coupling strength and a piezoelectric response similar to
reported DFT results.