fizinfo - [Fizinfo] Norman Yao előadása

fizinfo AT lists.kfki.hu

Subject: ELFT HÍRADÓ

[Fizinfo] Norman Yao előadása

  • From: Edina Szirmai <eszirmai AT phy.bme.hu>
  • To: Fizinfo AT lists.kfki.hu
  • Subject: [Fizinfo] Norman Yao előadása
  • Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2013 10:19:25 +0100

MEGHÍVÓ

a BME Fizikai Intézet
"Egzotikus Kvantum Fázisok" kutatócsoportjának
soron következő, informális szemináriumára

Norman Yao
(Harvard University, Cambridge)

"Many-body Localization with Dipoles"

*Abstract: *Statistical mechanics is the framework that connects
thermodynamics to the microscopic world. It hinges on the assumption of
equilibration; when equilibration fails, so does our understanding.

In isolated quantum systems, this breakdown is captured by the phenomenon
known as many-body localization.

Many-body localized phases violate Ohm's law and Fourier's law as they
conduct neither charge nor heat; they can exhibit symmetry breaking and/or
topological orders in dimensions normally forbidden by Mermin-Wagner
arguments; they hold potential as strongly interacting quantum computers
due to the slow decay of local coherence.

In this talk, I will briefly introduce the basic phenomena of many-body
localization and review its theoretical status. To date, none of these
phenomena has been observed in an experimental system, in part because of
the isolation required to avoid thermalization. I will consider several
dipolar systems which we believe to be ideal platforms for the realization
of MBL phases and for investigating the associated delocalization phase
transition. The presence of strong interactions in these systems underlies
their potential for exploring physics beyond that of single particle
Anderson localization. However, the power law of the dipolar interaction
immediately raises the question: can localization in real space persist in
the presence of such long-range interactions?

I will review and extend several arguments producing criteria for
localization in the presence of power laws and present small-scale numerics
regarding the MBL transition in several of the proposed dipolar systems.

Joint work with: C. R. Laumann, S. Gopalakrishnan, M. Knap, M. Mueller, E.
A. Demler, M. D. Lukin

Helye: BME F III. épület, magasföldszint, szemináriumi szoba

Ideje: 2013. november 25. hétfő, 14:15.

Minden érdeklődőt szeretettel várunk!

Szirmai
Edina

--
Edina Szirmai
Department of Theoretical Physics,

  • [Fizinfo] Norman Yao előadása, Edina Szirmai, 11/21/2013