fizinfo - Ortvay kollokvium (J�nossy-Marx memorial lecture)

fizinfo AT lists.kfki.hu

Subject: ELFT HÍRADÓ

Ortvay kollokvium (J�nossy-Marx memorial lecture)

  • From: Szommer Peter <szpl AT metal.elte.hu>
  • To: fizinfo AT lists.kfki.hu
  • Subject: Ortvay kollokvium (Jnossy-Marx memorial lecture)
  • Date: Fri, 18 May 2012 10:10:29 +0200

ELTE Fizikai Intézet

ORTVAY KOLLOKVIUM

2012. május 24., csütörtök, 15 órakor
Az ELTE Pázmány Péter s. 1/A alatti épületében
földszinti 0.81 előadóban

Alan A. Watson (School of Physics and Astronomy, University of Leeds):

"Cosmic Rays: Then, Now and the Future - from the ionisation of air
to beyond the LHC"

/Jánossy-Marx memorial lecture/

Kivonatos ismertetés: The study of cosmic rays has been generous to many disciplines, including particle physics, carbon dating and radio astronomy: it has thus had scientific and societal impact. They were discovered in 1912 as a result of the efforts by some of the most distinguished scientists of that era who were puzzled by their inability to explain the discharge of ionisation chambers. I will describe some of the early work that led, inter alia, to the discovery of the positron, the muon and the first strange particles and thus to the birth of particle physics. In 1938 it was found that showers of particles that arrive at the earth simultaneously are produced by primary cosmic rays of ~1015 eV, about 105 times more energetic than any particles that had been contemplated before. I will discuss how study of these showers has led to the discovery of cosmic rays of energies as great as 3?1020 eV, challenging our understanding of where and how they can be created. Data from the Pierre Auger Observatory, the largest cosmic-ray detector ever built, is now being used for astrophysical studies and to give glimpses of some hadronic physics at centre-of-mass energies more than 4 times greater than are accessible at the LHC.

  • Ortvay kollokvium (Jnossy-Marx memorial lecture), Szommer Peter, 05/18/2012