fizinfo - [Fizinfo] csillagda rendkivuli szeminariuma

fizinfo AT lists.kfki.hu

Subject: ELFT HÍRADÓ

[Fizinfo] csillagda rendkivuli szeminariuma

  • From: uhlar AT konkoly.hu (Karola_Uhlar)
  • To: fizinfo AT lists.kfki.hu
  • Subject: [Fizinfo] csillagda rendkivuli szeminariuma
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2012 12:47:14 +0100 (CET)

Meghívó
az MTA Konkoly Thege Miklós Csillagászati Kutatóintézete
rendkívüli szemináriumára

Elõadó: Gerard Williger (Université de Nice)

Cím: GALEX selected Lyman Break Galaxies at z~2: Comparison with other
Populations

Kivonat:
We present results of a search for bright Lyman break galaxies at 1.5 <= z
<= 2.5 in the GOODS-S field using a NUV-dropout technique in combination
with color-selection. We derived a sample of 73 LBG candidates. We compare
our selection efficiencies to BM/BX- and BzK methods (techniques solely
based on ground-based data sets), and find the NUV data to provide greater
efficiency for selecting star-forming galaxies. We estimate LBG candidate
ages, masses, star formation rates, and extinction from fitting PEGASE
synthesis evolution models. We find about 20% of our LBG candidates are
comparable to infrared luminous LBGs or sub-millimeter galaxies which are
thought to be precursors of massive elliptical galaxies today. Overall, we
can show that although BM/BX and BzK methods do identify star-forming
galaxies at z~2, the sample they provide biases against those star-forming
galaxies which are more massive and contain sizeable red stellar
populations. A true Lyman break criterion at z~2 is therefore more
directly comparable to the populations found at z~3, which does contain a
red fraction. (arXiv:1112.2786)

Az elõadás idõpontja: 2012. január 25., szerda 14 óra

Helye: MTA CSFK CSI elõadóterme
Budapest, XII., Konkoly Thege M. út 15-17.

  • [Fizinfo] csillagda rendkivuli szeminariuma, Karola_Uhlar, 01/20/2012