fizinfo - [Fizinfo] SZFKI szeminarium: Mark Rudner (Harvard University) -- Topological Transitions in Driven Quantum Systems

fizinfo AT lists.kfki.hu

Subject: ELFT HÍRADÓ

[Fizinfo] SZFKI szeminarium: Mark Rudner (Harvard University) -- Topological Transitions in Driven Quantum Systems

  • From: Janos Asboth <janos.asboth AT gmail.com>
  • To: fizinfo AT lists.kfki.hu
  • Subject: [Fizinfo] SZFKI szeminarium: Mark Rudner (Harvard University) -- Topological Transitions in Driven Quantum Systems
  • Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2011 14:30:12 +0100

Kedves Kollegak!

Emlekezteto: december 2-an, penteken, 10 orakor, Dr. Mark Rudner (Harvard
University, USA) tart szeminariumi eloadast az SZFKI-ban. Ez nem egyezik
meg dr. Rudner csutortoki, ELTE-s eloadasaval.

Időpont: 2011. december 02. (péntek) 10:00
Hely: MTA SZFKI, I. épület 1. emeleti Tanácsterem

Mark Rudner (Harvard University):
"Topological Transitions in Driven Quantum Systems"

The discovery of the quantized Hall effects opened a new chapter in our
understanding of quantum mechanics. The theoretical explanation of these
effects, which is based on the mathematical framework of topology, revealed
new mechanisms through which extremely robust quantization phenomena could
arise in large, and rather messy systems. Building on these ideas, whole
new classes of materials with startling properties have recently been
predicted and identified experimentally. Now, as we progress into the 21st
century, a variety of new experimental tools offer unprecedented levels of
control over solid-state, atomic, and optical systems. In this talk, I will
discuss new types of topologically-protected robust quantum behavior which
arise in periodically-driven quantum systems. I will begin by reviewing
various types quantization phenomena, and will provide a introduction to
the connection between topology and quantum systems. Then I will show how
these concepts can be extended and applied in new ways to driven systems,
drawing on discrete time quantum walks as a prototypical example.

Erdeklodoket szivesen varunk!
Asboth Janos

  • [Fizinfo] SZFKI szeminarium: Mark Rudner (Harvard University) -- Topological Transitions in Driven Quantum Systems, Janos Asboth, 11/30/2011