fizinfo - [Fizinfo] Feza Gursey Institute, Istanbul

fizinfo AT lists.kfki.hu

Subject: ELFT HÍRADÓ

[Fizinfo] Feza Gursey Institute, Istanbul

  • From: "Bohm Gabriella" <bgabr AT rmki.kfki.hu>
  • To: fizinfo AT lists.kfki.hu
  • Subject: [Fizinfo] Feza Gursey Institute, Istanbul
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2011 08:20:29 +0200

Kedves Kollegák!

Török barátoktól (egy remekül sikerült ma záruló workshop szervezőitől)
érkeztek az alábbi szomorú hírek egy isztambuli kutatóintézet váratlan
bezárásáról. Az érintettek azt remélik, határozott fellépéssel még
változtathatnak a döntésen. Ha valaki úgy érzi, csatlakozni szeretne
petíciójukhoz, kérem, tegye meg.

Több információ ezen a török-angol kétnyelvű blogon:

http://savefezagursey.wordpress.com/

Segítségüket a török kollegák nevében is köszönöm,

Gabriella Böhm
Research Institute for Particle and Nuclear Physics, Budapest,
Address: Konkoly Thege Miklos ut 29-33, H-1121 Budapest, Hungary
Letters: H-1525 Budapest 114, P.O.Box 49, Hungary
Phone: +36 1 392-2222/17-88,
Fax: +36 1 392-2727,
E-mail:
G.Bohm AT rmki.kfki.hu

----

Dear Participant,

Your visit to Istanbul, unfortunately coincided with a depressing
development for Turkish mathematical community. Our only institute for
theoretical physics and pure mathematics, Feza Gursey Institute, is being
dissolved. Below you will find a short description and history of the
institute. We also included a sample petition, if you would like to sign
and send it to the director of the Turkish National Science Foundation,
TUBITAK and Minister of Science and Technology.

We and our fellow mathematicians appreciate your support.

Muge Kanuni and Atabey Kaygun

*****

About the Institute

Feza Gursey Institute for Fundamental Research was founded under the
leadership of the distinguished physicists late Erdal Inonu and Yavuz
Nutku in 1996, by a protocol signed between the Bogazici University and
the Turkish National Science Foundation, TUBITAK. The Institute was based
in its present location in the Kandilli campus of the Bogazici University
in 1997. Since then it has served as an outstanding research environment
and a meeting point for physicists and mathematicians from Turkey and all
over the world. Since its foundation research semesters, summer schools
and colloquia drew literally thousands of researcher and students.

Within this period 350 research articles were published, and have

received about 2000 citations to date. All of this was done with a very
modest budget and a very small staff members.

Detailed information, in English, about the events, staff, visitors and
other activities of the institute can be found at
www.gursey.gov.tr.

*****

Sample petition:

To the director of TUBITAK,

For reasons that we fail to understand, TUBITAK did not renew the protocol
with the Bogazici University in 2008. Since then, a steady attrition of
the staff followed as the contracts of part-time participants were not
renewed and no post-doc positions were opened. In spite of this, seminars
and workshops continue to be organised at the Institute.

This week it was announced to the institute that it would be attached to
the Informatics and Information Safety Research Center at the Gebze campus
of TUBITAK as of July 15, 2011. This effectively means the closing of the
Institute.

Apparently TUBITAK is not convinced of the value of fundamental research
in theoretical physics and pure mathematics. In spite of the total number
of visitors, conferences and national and international summer schools
with participants from all over Turkey and abroad, TUBITAK does not see a
value to keep Feza Gursey Institute operational.

We request TUBITAK to reverse its decision to dissolve the institute. We
strongly believe that dissolving the one and only institute of its kind in
Istanbul would cause irreversible damage to the progress of theoretical
physics and pure mathematics in Turkey.

Name,
XXXXXXX

*****

President of TUBITAK, Prof. Nuket Yetis
TÜB&#304;TAK Ba<9F>kanl&#305;k
TÜB&#304;TAK Tunus Caddesi No:80
06100 Kavakl&#305;dere / Ankara

Email:
nuket.yetis AT tubitak.gov.tr
Phone : +90 (312) 467 77 98
+90 (312) 467 30 02
+90 (312) 468 53 00 / 4400-4401
Fax: +90 (312) 467 95 82

The Minister of Science, Technology and Industry, Nihat Ergun
Gazi Mustafa Kemal Bulvar&#305;
Tandoüan / ANKARA

E-mail:
nihat.ergun AT tbmm.gov.tr
Phone: +90 312 219 69 69
Fax: +90 312 219 67 45

  • [Fizinfo] Feza Gursey Institute, Istanbul, Bohm Gabriella, 07/15/2011