fizinfo - [Fizinfo] PhD positions in experimental cold atom physics

fizinfo AT lists.kfki.hu

Subject: ELFT HÍRADÓ

[Fizinfo] PhD positions in experimental cold atom physics

  • From: József Fortágh <fortagh AT uni-tuebingen.de>
  • To: fizinfo AT lists.kfki.hu
  • Subject: [Fizinfo] PhD positions in experimental cold atom physics
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 15:05:28 +0200

Call for applications to the doctoral program
in experimental cold atom physics
at the University of Tübingen

At the CQ Center for Collective Quantum Phenomena and their Applications, we offer research opportunities on the subjects:

- Cold atom / solid state interactions and hybrid quantum systems. We investigate interactions between cold atoms and carbon nanotubes, superconductors, and plasmonic structures in order to form coupled cold atom / solid state hybrid quantum systems. We explore physics at the interface between atoms, solids and light.
- Quantum atom optics, atom interferometry.
- Quantum many-body physics, correlations in ultracold Bose and Fermi gases.

The doctoral program is closely linked to research programs funded by the DFG, BMBF, and ERC. Full financial support (TV-L E13/2) is available up to three years. Thesis supervisor: Prof. József Fortágh.

The CQ Center offers a unique research environment involving groups in experimental cold atom physics, experimental and theoretical condensed matter physics, nanotechnology, and computational quantum physics. Visitor programs and collaborations provide lively international scientific exchange opportunities. The students of the doctoral program will participate in these exchange programs, and will have the opportunity to visit scientific workshops, schools and conferences. Students for the doctoral program will be selected according to their academic excellence, previous achievements, and expected scientific potential.

Applicants are requested to submit the following documents in German or English:
- Expressions of interest: why are you interested in joining the doctoral program in experimental cold atom physics at the University of Tübingen?
- Curriculum vitae
- List of publications, posters and talks (if applicable)
- Study records, relevant certificates
We ask that all application documents be submitted as a single PDF File to the Secretary of the Center, Mrs. Gerlinde Lossa. Email: lossa AT pit.physik.uni-tuebingen.de

In addition we ask for a separate letter of recommendation that is emailed by the referee directly to the Secretary.

Dates and deadlines
- Applicants wishing to start in July or August 2010 should apply as soon as possible. Applicants will be invited for a presentation and interview before the 15th of July.
- Application deadline for a start date in September or October 2010 is 15th of August. Applicants will be invited for a presentation between the 23rd and 27th of August.

We seek to increase the percentage of women in physics. Therefore we explicitly encourage qualified female students to apply.

--
Prof. József Fortágh
CQ Center for Collective Quantum Phenomena and their Applications

  • [Fizinfo] PhD positions in experimental cold atom physics, József Fortágh, 06/21/2010