fizinfo - [Fizinfo] nanofizika szeminarium - Schonenberger

fizinfo AT lists.kfki.hu

Subject: ELFT HÍRADÓ

[Fizinfo] nanofizika szeminarium - Schonenberger

  • From: Mihaly Gyorgy <mihaly AT szfki.hu>
  • To: fizinfo AT lists.kfki.hu
  • Subject: [Fizinfo] nanofizika szeminarium - Schonenberger
  • Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 12:37:49 +0200

MEGHIVÓ
a BME Fizikai Intézet, Fizika Tanszék szemináriumára

Christian Schönenberger

Spin and Charge Transport in Carbon Nanotube Hybrid Quantum Dots

Swiss Nanoscience Institute and Department of Physics at the University of Basel, Switzerland.
http://pages.unibas.ch/phys-meso/

Az elõadás helye: BME Fizikai Intézet, Fizika Tanszék
Budafoki út 8. F-épület, III. lépcsõház, II. emelet 13.
Ideje: 2008. április 28. hétfõ, 16:15.

Abstract:
Charge transport at the ultimate limit is transport through a localized, zero-dimensional state. Such 0d objects, also called quantum dots or artificial atoms, can be embodied in various inorganic (semiconducting 2DEGs, synthesized nanoparticles) systems. However, transport studies through such artificial atoms have been restricted to normal electrodes. It is only since very recent, that we are able to fabricate superconducting and ferromagnetic electrodes to quantum dots. This has first been made possible by carbon nanotube (CNT) quantum dots, which are exceptional in that they allow for hybrid quantum dots with both superconducting and ferromagnetic contacts. Very recently, the same could be achieved in semiconducting nanowires. New physics emerge from studies of these hybrids in which spindependent phenomena can be studied in 0d.

After a brief introduction, in which I would like to stress the new possibilities offered by referring to CNTs. I will focus on recent results from our research at Basel in the area of the proximity effect and spintransport in two and multi-terminal devices.

For a brief review, see: C. Schönenberger, Charge and Spin Transport in Carbon Nanotubes, Semicond.
Sci. Technol. 21, S1-9 (2006).

The work is a collaborative effort including the following researcher (in alphabetic order):
W. Belzig, C. Bruder, S. Csonka, A. Cottet, A. Eichler, M. Gräber, G. Gunnarsson, D. Keller, A. Kleine, T. Kontos, J. Nygaard, S. Oberholzer, S. Sahoo, J. Trbovic, and M. Weiss.

G. Mihaly
Department of Physics
http://dept.phy.bme.hu/