fizinfo - [Fizinfo] Relativitaselmeleti szeminarium

fizinfo AT lists.kfki.hu

Subject: ELFT HÍRADÓ

[Fizinfo] Relativitaselmeleti szeminarium

  • From: "Szabados,L." <lbszab AT rmki.kfki.hu>
  • To: fizinfo AT lists.kfki.hu
  • Subject: [Fizinfo] Relativitaselmeleti szeminarium
  • Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2007 14:43:18 +0200 (CEST)

RELATIVITASELMELETI SZEMINARIUM

Eloado: Prof Ezra T. Newman,
University of Pittsburgh

Az eloadas cime: A new unorthodox approach to equations of motion
via null infinity

t: 2007 oktober 15 (hetfo), 14.00
(x,y,z): KFKI RMKI III. epulet, tanacsterem

Kivonat:

We report on a recently discovered new structure associated with the asymptotic behavior of the Einstein or Einstein-Maxwell fields in the neighborhood of future null infinity. This structure, which is associated with asymptotically shearfree null congruences, appears to have significant physical interest or consequences.

Specifically, we first will discuss the existence, arising by analogy to that in algebraically special space-times, of a unique regular asymptotically shear-free null geodesic congruence in any asymptotically flat space-time. Associated with this congruence is a unique complex analytic curve defined in the space of complex Poincare translations which has its action on complexified null infinity, i.e., Penrose's (complexified) SCRI.

We then describe the surprising physical significance of this curve. The physical situation we are dealing with is a complicated gravitating-electromagnetic system viewed from null infinity.  This system possesses a Bondi asymptotic four-momentum. First of all, the curve yields kinematic meaning to the Bondi four-momentum, in the sense of P=Mv with v being the real part of worldline velocity. Furthermorer, from this curve we can define a (complex) center of mass for the entire system [and (complex) center of charge for the special case when the two coincide] with its equations of motion. The Bondi energy-momentum loss equation then yields explicit evolution equations for both the real and the imaginary parts of the curve. The imaginary part, which is interpreted as the spin-angular momentum, satisfies its own evolution equation while the real part yields equations of motion for a spinning particle - with spin coupling terms. Much of the physical identification arises from a comparison of the radiation terms - both electromagnetic and gravitational - with the variables associated with the complex worldline. We even obtain radiation reaction terms with the 'correct' numerical coefficients.