fizinfo - [Fizinfo] Ortvay kollokvium

fizinfo AT lists.kfki.hu

Subject: ELFT HÍRADÓ

[Fizinfo] Ortvay kollokvium

  • From: ortvay AT achilles.elte.hu (Ortvay kollokvium)
  • To: FIZINFO AT lists.kfki.hu
  • Subject: [Fizinfo] Ortvay kollokvium
  • Date: Sun, 7 Oct 2007 16:03:01 +0200 (CEST)

ELTE Fizika Intezet

ORTVAY KOLLOKVIUM

2007. oktober 11. , csutortok, 15 orakor
Az ELTE Pazmany Peter s. 1/A alatti epuleteben a foldszinti 0.83 eloadoban

Robert L. Snyder
(School of Materials Science and Engineering, Georgia Tech, Atlanta GA USA
30309):
" The New World of MSE: Nano & Bio Technology"

Kivonatos ismertetes:

The two most important events in Materials Science and Engineering in the
past
50 years have been the introduction of surface free energy as a tool for
creating new materials and the cracking of the genetic code of the entire
biosphere which is underway and is creating a tidal wave of information that
is
going to transform our technology to the core. These two events are
intertwined
at the most fundamental level in that the key to the assembly of complex
nanomachines lies within each of our cells. The ribosome has done its
evolutionary job of getting us to 2006 and its now time to turn this
marvelous
machine loose to manufacture materials and machines that have nothing to do
with evolution.

n this talk I will start with a fundamental examination of the nature of
nanomaterials and show how Z.L. Wang has made many beautiful structures of
ZnO.
We will then turn to the applications nanowires, nanobelts and carbon
nanotubes
to the making of field-effect transistors, lasers, self-cleaning surfaces and
nano-sized electrical generators.

I would then like to explore applications of using the machinery of the
living
cell to manufacture nanostructures via biomimetics to use structures that
already exist in nature - collecting the low hanging fruit. Nature provides
elegant examples of organisms that generate three-dimensional structures with
complex patterns from the macro-scale to the nanoscale. Lastly we will look
at
methods to take genes from species producing desirable structures, perhaps
modify them, and then retrofit them onto a compliant single celled bug who
will
become a manufacturing unit. By mid 21st century I believe that we will know
enough genetics, biochemistry and materials science to computer design genes
produce devices from nanomachines to complete computer systems using the
machinery in each of our cells.

ROBERT L. SNYDER is Professor and Chair of the School of Materials and
Engineering at The Georgia Institute of Technology. He is the author of two
textbooks, has edited nine technical books and has contributed chapters to
nine
books and encyclopedias. He holds eight patents and has published over 265
papers on materials and materials characterization which have been cited by
other authors more than 2000 times. He has presented over 1,000 talks around
the world with over forty plenary and keynote lectures and has graduated more
than 45 graduate students. He is a Fellow of the American Society of Metals,
The American Ceramic Society and Distinguished Fellow of The International
Centre for Diffraction Data. He is a Principal Editor for the Journal
Materials
Research and the Journal of the American Ceramic Society. He serves on the
organizing committees of a number of international conferences and chairs the
annual Denver X-ray Conference. He has been named the American Ceramic
Society
Outstanding Educator and has received the State University of New York
Chancellor's Award for Excellence in Teaching, the 2002 TMS Award for
Materials
Leadership, the 2004 Hanawalt Award for X-ray analysis and the 2008 TMS
Educator Award.

Minden erdeklodot szivesen latunk! Az eloadas elott negyed oraval
az eloadoban teat szolgalunk fel.
Az eloadas-sorozatrol az interneten az "ortvay-koll.elte.hu" cimen
talalhato informacio.