fizinfo - [Fizinfo] Lectures on quantum phase transitions

fizinfo AT lists.kfki.hu

Subject: ELFT HÍRADÓ

[Fizinfo] Lectures on quantum phase transitions

  • From: Mihaly Gyorgy <mihaly AT szfki.hu>
  • To: Fizinfo AT lists.kfki.hu
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [Fizinfo] Lectures on quantum phase transitions
  • Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 17:54:14 +0100

Meghivo
haromreszes (tanulo)szeminarium
a kvantum-fazisatalakulasok temakoreben

Eloado:
Rajesh Narayanan
Forschungszentrum Karlsruhe GmbH,
Institut fur Nanotechnologie

Lectures on quantum phase transitions:
from introduction to application in itinerant magnets.

Lecture 1:

dec 8. hetfo 14.15 - 16.00 ora, BME Fizikai Intezet
F-epulet, III. lepcsohaz, mf, szeminariumi szoba

An Introduction to quantum phase transitions:
In this lecture we shall introduce the concept of
quantum phase transitions. We shall see how these
transitions are different from their better understood
counterparts i.e the classical or thermal phase transition.
We shall briefly review concepts like universality,
that are essential in understanding critical phenomenon.

Lecture 2:

dec 11. csutortok, 14.15 - 16.00 ora, BME Fizikai Intezet
F-epulet, III. lepcsohaz, II. emelet 13 terem

Kitting out the mathematical tool box:
In this lecture we shall go through a quick review
of the essential mathematical implements that we will
utilize in the study of quantum phase transitions.
The use of the Renormalization group in studying
critical phenomenon will be illustrated by the using
the ubiquitous $\phi^4$ theory as an example. We shall
also review the coherent state path integral formulation.
This formulation will turn out to be invaluable
in our study of quantum phase transition.

Lecture 3:

dec 12. pentek, 14.15- 16.00 ora, BME Fizikai Intezet
F-épület, III. lépcsoház, II. emelet 13 terem

Quantum phase transition in itinerant magnetism:
In this lecture we shall concentrate on a particular type
of quantum phase transition, namely the quantum
phase transition in itinerant systems. We shall utilize
the techniques developed in the previous lectures to unravel
the nature of these quantum phase transition. In the course
of this lectures it will be pointed out how old theories
are inadequate in fully understanding the complexities
associated with these rather exotic transitions. We shall
then review the state of the art theories that are used
to describe quantum phase transitions in these systems.

Mihály György Penc Karlo
BME Fizikai Intezet MTA SZFKI

  • [Fizinfo] Lectures on quantum phase transitions, Mihaly Gyorgy, 11/25/2003