fizinfo - [Fizinfo] public lecture invitation

fizinfo AT lists.kfki.hu

Subject: ELFT HÍRADÓ

[Fizinfo] public lecture invitation

  • From: "Krisztina Biber" <Biberk AT ceu.hu>
  • To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
  • Subject: [Fizinfo] public lecture invitation
  • Date: Sun Jun 1 18:38:00 2003

The Philosophy Department cordially invites you to a public lecture
by
Cheryl Misak (Professor of Philosophy, VP Academic, University of Toronto at
Mississauga)

Thursday, 12. June, 5.00 PM - Zrinyi 14/room 412

'Pragmatism and Deflationism'

C.S. Peirce, the founder of pragmatism, argued that we should turn our backs
on
the correspondence theory of truth because it rests on an unhappy and bloated
metaphysics. We must embrace, rather, a deflated and naturalist view of truth
on which a true belief is a belief which would forever stand up to inquiry.
Contemporary deflationists, however, think of Peirce as a misguided opponent.
They object to his thought that truth is a property; that is, they think that
he hasn't deflated truth enough. I shall argue that the dispute between the
classical deflationist and the Peircean deflationist is not as significant as
it first seems and suggest that the classical deflationist should follow
Peirce
in saying something general about what truth is.

Kriszta Biber
Department Coordinator
Philosophy Department
Tel: 36-1-327-3806
Fax: 36-1-327-3072
E-mail:
biberk AT ceu.hu

  • [Fizinfo] public lecture invitation, Krisztina Biber, 05/30/2003