fizinfo - [Fizinfo] Csillagda szeminariuma

fizinfo AT lists.kfki.hu

Subject: ELFT HÍRADÓ

[Fizinfo] Csillagda szeminariuma

  • From: ilka AT konkoly.hu (Kalman Belane)
  • To: fizinfo AT sunserv.kfki.hu
  • Subject: [Fizinfo] Csillagda szeminariuma
  • Date: Mon Mar 10 10:35:00 2003

Meghivo

az MTA Konkoly Thege Miklos Csillagaszati Kutatointezete
szeminariumara

Eloado: Dr. KATRIEN KOLENBERG

University of Vienna

Cim:"A SPECTROSCOPIC STUDY OF THE BLAZHKO EFFECT IN RR LYRAE STARS"

About 20-30% of the (galactic) fundamental mode as well as 2-5% of

the first overtone RR Lyrae stars show a periodic modulation of their

light curve shape on a timescale of typically tens of days. Though

this phenomenon, known as the Blazhko effect, was discovered almost

a century ago, a widely acceptable theoretical model for its physical origin
is still lacking. Most viable models for explaining the amplitude and/or
phase modulation involve either a magnetic field or a resonance
effect. In both types of models nonradial oscillations play an essential

role. Their presence is not easy to establish observationally in the

dominantly radially pulsating RR Lyrae stars.

Throughout this talk the results of a spectroscopic study of the

Blazhko effect, the first of its kind, in the brightest Blazhko star

RR Lyrae will be presented. A period analysis performed on a set

of high-resolution line profiles of the star implied strong evidence

for the presence of nonradial oscillation modes. We concentrated on

their precise identification, considering different approaches to

unravel the nonradial modes from our spectra. The adopted methods
will be discussed, paying attention to the elements that can still

be enhanced by a deeper theoretical insight, and pointing out the

obtained results. We end with the conclusions in the framework of

the studies on the Blazhko effect and the outlook for future projects.

A szeminarium idopontja: 2003. marcius 13. 14 ora

Helyszine: MTA Konkoly Thege Miklos Csillagaszati Kutatointezete
1121 Budapest Konkoly Thege M. ut 13-17.

Patkos Laszlo s.k.