fizinfo - [Fizinfo] Meghivo

fizinfo AT lists.kfki.hu

Subject: ELFT HÍRADÓ

[Fizinfo] Meghivo

  • From: udvardi AT bolyai.phy.bme.hu (Udvardi Laszlo)
  • To: fizinfo AT sunserv.kfki.hu
  • Subject: [Fizinfo] Meghivo
  • Date: Mon Nov 11 12:39:01 2002

MEGH'IV'O
A Budapesti Muszaki Egyetem, Fizikai Int'ezet
Elm'eleti Fizika Tansz'ek tudom'anyos
szemin'arium'ara

T'ema:
Kondo effect and STM spectra through ferromagnetic nanoclusters

El"oad'o:

Greg Fiete
Harvard University, USA

Id"opont: 2002. november 15.-'en 10.15 'ora

Hely : Budafoki 'ut 8 (F-'ep"ulet, III. lh., mfsz.,
Szemin'ariumi szoba

Minden 'erdekl"od"ot sz'i vesen l'atunk !

Udvardi La'szlo'

Abstarct:
---------
Motivated by recent scanning tunneling microscope (STM) experiments on
cobalt clusters adsorbed on single-wall metallic nanotubes [Odom et al.,
Science 290, 1549 (2000)], we study theoretically the size dependence of
STM spectra and spin-flip scattering of electrons from finite size
ferromagnetic clusters adsorbed on metallic surfaces. The effective
exchange coupling between the spin of the cluster and the conduction
electrons of the metallic substrate depends on the specific details of the
single-particle density of states on the cluster. The calculated Kondo
coupling is inversely proportional to the total spin of the ferromagnetic
cluster in both models and thus the Kondo temperature is rapidly
suppressed as the size of the cluster increases. Mesoscopic fluctuations
in the charging energies and magnetization of nanoclusters can lead to
large fluctuations in the Kondo temperatures and a very asymmetric voltage
dependence of the STM spectra. We compare our results to the experiments.