fizinfo - [Fizinfo] EPS-12: EUROTRON Conference and Round Table Discussion

fizinfo AT lists.kfki.hu

Subject: ELFT HÍRADÓ

[Fizinfo] EPS-12: EUROTRON Conference and Round Table Discussion

  • From: EPS 12 <eps12 AT rmki.kfki.hu>
  • To: Fizinfo <fizinfo AT lists.kfki.hu>
  • Subject: [Fizinfo] EPS-12: EUROTRON Conference and Round Table Discussion
  • Date: Fri Aug 23 21:57:00 2002

Dear Colleague,

The 12th General Conference of the European Physical Society "Trends in
Physics" (EPS-12) will be held in Budapest, Hungary, 26-30 August 2002.
Its satellite, the

EUROTRON Conference,

will enable a virtual presence and participation in the main events of
EPS-12:

http://www.eps12.kfki.hu/eurotron/

Within the framework of both EPS-12 and Eurotron we plan to organise a
Roundtable Discussion on the future of Research (particularly Physics)
and Development in Europe. Thus far the following topics were proposed:

- Teaching physics in schools, public understanding of physics.
- Large-scale experiments, large-scale research facilities.
- Globalisation of science.
- The future of physics publications (electronic publishing).
- Promotion of the European Research Area.

Participants of the Roundtable Discussion will be:

Z. Alferov (Nobel Laureate, Vice President, Russian Academy of
Sciences, St. Petersburg),
H. Bruhns (Head of Unit Fusion Association Agreements, European
Commission, Brussels),
M. Ducloy (President, European Physical Society, Paris),
J. Gyulai (President, Roland Eotvos Physical Society, Budapest),
M.C.E. Huber (President-Elect, European Physical Society, Bern),
N. Kroo (Secretary General, Hungarian Academy of Sciences,
Budapest),
D.L. Nagy (Vice President, Roland Eotvos Physical Society,
Budapest),
Y. Petroff (President Designate, International Union of Pure and
Applied Physics, Berkeley),
A. Siegler (Under-Secretary of State, Hungarian Ministry of
Education, Budapest).

Discussion leader:

G. Morrison (European Physical Society, Birmingham).

Comments on the above themes and further questions can be posted now in
advance at the E-mail address

EPS12-roundtable AT lists.kfki.hu

The roundtable discussion will be web-casted and we shall make it possible
also for those who follow it from outside the conference hall to send
questions during the discussion and those chosen by the moderator will
immediately be presented to the discussion leader.

To participate in the discussion forum or see the previous questions
and comments go to the web page

http://www.eps12.kfki.hu/eurotron/disforum.html

The EUROTRON programme will start on Monday, 26 August at 9:00, Central
European Time and will end on Friday, 30 August at 18:20. The Round Table
Discussion including the possibility of immediate questions and comments
through the Internet to the discussion participants will take place on
Tuesday, 27 August 18:00-20:00.

We are looking forward to receiving your questions and comments.

Sincerely yours:

The Organisers

PS. We should like to distribute this circular to the widest possible
interested audience. Therefore, we ask you to forward it to your
colleagues who may not have received it. At the same time we apologise for
it if for the same reason you received this message more than once.

  • [Fizinfo] EPS-12: EUROTRON Conference and Round Table Discussion, EPS 12, 08/23/2002