fizinfo - [Fizinfo] PHILOSOPHY OF SCIENCE SEMINAR, K. Martinas

fizinfo AT lists.kfki.hu

Subject: ELFT HÍRADÓ

[Fizinfo] PHILOSOPHY OF SCIENCE SEMINAR, K. Martinas

  • From: "Laszlo E. Szabo" <leszabo AT hps.elte.hu>
  • To: mafla AT hps.elte.hu
  • Cc: koglist AT cogpsyphy.hu, fizinfo AT sunserv.kfki.hu
  • Subject: [Fizinfo] PHILOSOPHY OF SCIENCE SEMINAR, K. Martinas
  • Date: Thu Nov 1 17:56:01 2001

Department of History and Philosophy of Science
Eotvos University
Budapest, Pazmany P. setany 1/A

PHILOSOPHY OF SCIENCE SEMINAR
(http://hps.elte.hu/seminar)
5 November 4:00 PM 6th floor 6.54
(Language: English, except all participants speak Hungarian)

K a t a l i n M a r t i n a s
Atomic Physics, Eotvos University, Budapest

Mathematics and Theoretical Economics
Some questions raised by the Post Autistic Economics Movement

In June, 2000 a small group of economics students of Ecole Normale
Superiore put on the web a petition protesting against economics'
"uncontrolled use of mathematics". This indulgence, it said, creates "a
true schizophrenia" because the mathematics has "become an end in
itself"
resulting in an "autistic science".
Since that time PAE became a worldwide movement, with the following
petition: We, economics students in the universities of ..., declare
ourselves to be generally dissatisfied with the teaching that we
receive.
This is so for the following reasons:
1. We wish to escape from imaginary worlds!
2. We oppose the uncontrolled use of mathematics!
3. We are for a pluralism of approaches in economics!
4. Call to teachers: wake up before it is too late!
We no longer want to have this autistic science imposed on us.
In the lecture the logical structure of theoretical (mathematical)
economics will be summarized, to pinpoint the causes of this present
schizophrenia.

The organizer of the seminar: László E. Szabó

--
Laszlo E. Szabo
Department of Theoretical Physics
Department of History and Philosophy of Science
Eotvos University, Budapest
H-1518 Budapest, Pf. 32, Hungary
Phone/Fax: (36-1)372-2924
Home: (36-1) 200-7318
Mobil/SMS: (36) 20-366-1172
http://hps.elte.hu/~leszabo

| A FIZINFO a fizikus informacios rendszer resze
|

| Cikk, hozzaszolas a

Fizinfo AT lists.kfki.hu