fizinfo - [Fizinfo] Csillagda szeminariuma

fizinfo AT lists.kfki.hu

Subject: ELFT HÍRADÓ

[Fizinfo] Csillagda szeminariuma

  • From: ilka AT konkoly.hu (Kalman Belane)
  • To: fizinfo AT sunserv.kfki.hu
  • Subject: [Fizinfo] Csillagda szeminariuma
  • Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 13:53:08 +0100 (MET)

Meghivo

az MTA Csillagaszati Kutatointezete Szeminariumara

Cim:
GEOMETRY, CHARACTER AND THE NUMBER OF THE DIMENSIONS OF THE
UNIVERSE

METOD SANIGA
(Tatranska Lomnica)

Absztrakt:
No phenomenon of natural sciences seems to be better grounded in our
everyday
experience than the fact that the world of macroscopic physical reality
has
three dimensions we call spatial and one dimension of a different character
we
call time. Although a tremendous amount of effort has been put so far
towards
achieving a plausible quantitative elucidation of and deep qualitative
insight
into the origin of these two puzzling numbers, the subject still remains one
of the toughest and most challenging problems faced by contemporary physics
(and by other related fields of human inquiry as well).

The aim of the talk is to address this issue employing the simplest possible
geometrical model based on the concept of the projective plane. I will start
with a very illustrative represenation of the projective plane. Next, I will
introduce the geometrical definitions of both the time and space dimensions.
Based on the latter, I will try to demostrate why our Universe has
four
dimensions, why three of them are of a different nature than the remaining
one, and why our perception of them is different from what physics tells us.

Idopont: 2000. december 14. csutortok, 14 ora
Helyszin: MTA Csillagaszati Kutatointezete eloadoterme
Budapest, XII. Konkoly Thege u. 15/17.

Patkos Laszlo
s. k.