fizinfo - [Fizinfo] TUDOMANYFILOZOFIA SZEMINARIUM, Z. S z a b o

fizinfo AT lists.kfki.hu

Subject: ELFT HÍRADÓ

[Fizinfo] TUDOMANYFILOZOFIA SZEMINARIUM, Z. S z a b o

  • From: László E.Szabó <leszabo AT hps.elte.hu>
  • Subject: [Fizinfo] TUDOMANYFILOZOFIA SZEMINARIUM, Z. S z a b o
  • Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 05:51:40 +0100

ELTE TTK Tudomanytortenet es Tudomanyfilozofia Tanszek
Budapest, Pazmany P. setany 1/A

TUDOMANYFILOZOFIA SZEMINARIUM
(http://hps.elte.hu/seminar)
Marcius 20
12:30
6. em. 6.54

Z o l t a n S z a b o
Cornell University

Ontological commitment

On what basis can we say that someone admits into his ontology numbers,
mental states, propositions, events, or other dubious entities? The
classical answer to this question is due to Quine: ontological
commitment to Fs (where 'F' is an arbitrary one-place predicate) is the
acceptance of the truth a theory that logically entails that there are
Fs. In my talk I will argue against this Quinean position. I will
contend that for some predicates 'F' it is possible for a rational and
reflective person to believe that there are Fs and at the same time not
to believe in Fs. If my contention is correct, there might be a way to
articulate ontological doubts regarding certain sorts of problematic
entities without repudiating our scientific and commonsense views which
demand their existence.

A szeminarium szervezoje: E. Szabo Laszlo
--
Laszlo E. Szabo
Department of Theoretical Physics

  • [Fizinfo] TUDOMANYFILOZOFIA SZEMINARIUM, Z. S z a b o, László E . Szabó, 03/14/2000