fizinfo - [Fizinfo] PhD in Cambridge (fwd)

fizinfo AT lists.kfki.hu

Subject: ELFT HÍRADÓ

[Fizinfo] PhD in Cambridge (fwd)

  • From: Van Peter <vpet AT PHYNDI.FKE.BME.HU>
  • To: fizinfo AT sunserv.kfki.hu
  • Subject: [Fizinfo] PhD in Cambridge (fwd)
  • Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2000 20:28:58 +0100

I am writing to ask if you, or any students you
know, would be interested in applying to do a PhD
at the University of Cambridge in my group (the Inference Group)
in the Department of Physics.

We are located in the Astrophysics group, but our
research interests are wideranging.

(1) We work on information theory and coding theory.
We have developed error-correcting codes for
noisy channels that are better than any other known
codes.

Some demonstrations and graphs can be found here:

http://wol.ra.phy.cam.ac.uk/mackay/codes/gifs/Welcome.html
http://wol.ra.phy.cam.ac.uk/mackay/codes/gifs/GC-survey2.R0.25.html

We have also developed codes for communicating
over channels that have synchronization errors.

(2) We work on machine learning. We are interested in
the automated discovery of the hidden
variables that underlie data. Ultimately, we would
like to understand how the brain models the world.
We work on text compression,
image modelling, and blind signal separation.

(3) We are also interested in
- the development of novel human-computer interfaces,
with an emphasis on maximizing information-transfer;
http://wol.ra.phy.cam.ac.uk/mackay/dasher/
- the development of Monte Carlo methods.
http://wol.ra.phy.cam.ac.uk/mackay/exact/
- theories of information theory and evolution.
- quantum measurement, quantum error-correction, and quantum
computation.
- development of effective Physics teaching methods.

You can find out more about our work on my web site,
http://wol.ra.phy.cam.ac.uk/mackay/

Application information:
------------------------

Students who have won financial support from some outside source are very
welcome.

There is also a possibility of supporting a PhD student with money
from IBM Zurich. The student would spend some months each year working
in Zurich in the magnetic recording research laboratory. We have got
a lot of research ideas that are ripe for application to disc drives.
All expenses associated with this work would be covered.

To apply, please send email to me
(mackay AT mrao.cam.ac.uk)
and
please apply to the Department of Physics as directed
on: http://www.phy.cam.ac.uk/ .

Yours
David

David J.C. MacKay email:
mackay AT mrao.cam.ac.uk

www: http://wol.ra.phy.cam.ac.uk/mackay/
Cavendish Laboratory, tel: (01223) 339852 fax: 354599 home: 740511
Madingley Road, international code: +44 1223
Cambridge CB3 0HE. U.K.

  • [Fizinfo] PhD in Cambridge (fwd), Van Peter, 03/10/2000